Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fruity Spirits Day 2: Joy


Joy
[ photo source ]

Welcome to day number two of the Fruity Spirits series!  If you missed day one make sure you check it out here:  Day 1: Love  Today we venture on in Galatians 5:22-23 by spending some time discussing the second fruit of the spirit...Joy!  

When I hear the word Joy there is definitely some catchy song lyrics that pop into my mind almost immediately:  
"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart
WHERE?!
Down in my heart
I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart
WHERE?!
Down in my heart to stay!" 

...Now that that's out of my system....

Take a moment to think about joy and what it means to you.

What brings YOU joy?

When I ask myself that question I find my mind suddenly getting flooded with a thousand-million (yes I quite possibly could have just made that number up) different things. So many simple little things bring joy to my heart and I'm sure there are many things that do the same for you!

 But now here's the tough question...how can you have a joyful heart?

I think for the sake of this post its safe to say that having a joyful heart and a joyful attitude all stems from the way you look at things.  Being joyful is not only a feeling or emotion but rather a perspective in which you see the world and the things you do.

Quite possibly the best way to achieve this perspective is through the truth that Colossians 3:23 speaks:  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." 
 
When we begin to do the activities of our lives not for the sake of the world but for the sake of the Lord we begin to see things through a new perspective.  We begin to find a new joy in the activities that once seemed so mundane and unrewarding. 

Joy is more than a feeling, joy is a way of life.  Joy is an active decision to embrace the little things in life and embrace where you're at.  Joy is doing life not for your sake or for the sake of others but for the sake of the Lord.  Joy is being content.  Joy is knowing that each moment plays a role in the bigger picture.  Joy is happiness in knowing the Lord has a plan for your life.  Joy is what we feel, joyful is what we are, when we're doing it all for the Lord.

So the question is....

What brings you joy?  

I want to know what brings you joy (hobbies, activities, babies laughing, green grass growing, you name it!)!  It might be something simple, something funny, something ordinary, something crazy, or maybe even something you didn't even realized brings you joy.  Leave a comment and let me know what brings you joy!  

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."
- Galatians 5:22-23


 
Focus on what brings you joy
[ photo source ]
 

 


1 comment: